Official websites use .mil
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
Today's 148th Fighter Wing can trace its roots to the 393rd Fighter Squadron, initially flying P-38Js during World War II. The 393rd flew its last mission of the war in 1945 and was deactivated.
The unit was reactivated September 17th, 1948 as the 179th Fighter Squadron in the Minnesota Air National Guard at Duluth, Minn. and has grown from the original 50 members into the 148th Fighter Wing that we know today. The unit has changed aircraft several times over the years from the F-51D Mustang (flown until 1954) to the most current Block 50 F-16CM Fighting Falcon.